FrancesKR

Dmitry Glukhovsky
Southern Gods
John Hornor Jacobs
Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
Robert Louis Stevenson, Orson Scott Card, Jack London, Tanith Lee, Walt Whitman, Guy de Maupassant, Isaac Asimov, Ivan Turgenev, Johann Ludwig Tieck, Marvin Kaye, John Dickson Carr, Bram Stoker, Tennessee Williams, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Richard Matheson, Johann Wolfgang
Howdunit Forensics
Garnethill
Denise Mina
The Autopsy and Other Tales
Michael Shea, Laird Barron
Alice Hearts Welsh Zombies
Victoria Dunn
Blood & Water
Hayden Trenholm, Camille Alexa, Claude Lalumière, Derryl Murphy, M.L.D. Curelas, Kevin Cockle, Douglas Smith, Jean-Louis Trudel, Julie E. Czerneda
House of Mystery, Vol. 1: Room and Boredom - Matthew Sturges, Bill Willingham, Luca Rossi Hmh.

It doesn't quite seem to be a horror anthology an anthology of horror stories, but each issue has its own standalone vignette. I don't see enough single-issue or shorter stories, and particularly liked the first one (illustrated by Ross Campbell, and I am amazed I don't have any of my Wet Moon books or The Abandoned up yet).

It's the House of Mystery, for which I have much love, so I'm glad to see it around again. Nice to see Cain and Abel again too.

It seems to be moving much more slowly than House of Secrets: Foundation, and it's kind of hard not to compare the two, given the parallels between the set-up story arcs. I was a bit disappointed to reach the end of the book and basically end up with nearly nothing but questions. I'm interested, yes, but unsatisfied, and that leaves me slightly annoyed.

I'm not as fond of any of the characters in HoM as I was of those in HoS; the one I find most interesting are Hungry Sally, the Conception pair, and the unnamed dragon from the back of the book; I'm at least as curious to see Willy the Hamuspex say more as I am to see Ann Preston. On the other hand, I like the setting much better. It seems to be less about coming to a strange place and more about settling the reader into one so that they can appreciate all the things going on around it; in that sense, I'm reminded of the Dreaming from Sandman.

I'll keep an eye out for the next book, and I'd like to read it, but I'm not sure I'm going to buy anything else unless the story starts developing a little more quickly.