FrancesKR

Dmitry Glukhovsky
Southern Gods
John Hornor Jacobs
Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
Robert Louis Stevenson, Orson Scott Card, Jack London, Tanith Lee, Walt Whitman, Guy de Maupassant, Isaac Asimov, Ivan Turgenev, Johann Ludwig Tieck, Marvin Kaye, John Dickson Carr, Bram Stoker, Tennessee Williams, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Richard Matheson, Johann Wolfgang
Howdunit Forensics
Garnethill
Denise Mina
The Autopsy and Other Tales
Michael Shea, Laird Barron
Alice Hearts Welsh Zombies
Victoria Dunn
Blood & Water
Hayden Trenholm, Camille Alexa, Claude Lalumière, Derryl Murphy, M.L.D. Curelas, Kevin Cockle, Douglas Smith, Jean-Louis Trudel, Julie E. Czerneda
Horns - Joe Hill Picked this up at 2:45 in the morning because I couldn't sleep, and thought reading for a bit before lying back down might help (and honestly, I can't find "The Library Policeman" and I knew enough about the premise of Horns that I thought it might have some decently plausible writing about a guy coping with an impossible situation). Promptly got hooked. Read through the entire first section and a few pages into the second before putting the book down, wandering out for a glass of milk, and updating Goodreads. As one does.

The second section, however, is a digression-back-to-childhood or prequel or something else that I can't remember the name of right now, because it's 3:30 a.m. and I'm going back to bed. I found it a lot less gripping; could practically feel the momentum of reading screeching to a halt. Not sure how much of that has to do with being tired again, though.

More later.

======================

I'm going to call it an uneven read, I think. It opens fast, slows down for Ig's past, and then gets creepy (which is good!) and somewhat distant (less so) for Lee's point of view.

I felt Terry got short shrift, and the theological justifications seemed out of sync with the rest of the book. Not Ig's powers, more the speeches, like his declaiming to the snakes.

I wavered between two and three, but I never got actively annoyed, more bored at points. And I do appreciate someone being willing to use the supernatural according to a theme, and having the characteristics of characters echo and repeat thematically. So I'll give it a three.