FrancesKR

Dmitry Glukhovsky
Southern Gods
John Hornor Jacobs
Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
Robert Louis Stevenson, Orson Scott Card, Jack London, Tanith Lee, Walt Whitman, Guy de Maupassant, Isaac Asimov, Ivan Turgenev, Johann Ludwig Tieck, Marvin Kaye, John Dickson Carr, Bram Stoker, Tennessee Williams, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Richard Matheson, Johann Wolfgang
Howdunit Forensics
Garnethill
Denise Mina
The Autopsy and Other Tales
Michael Shea, Laird Barron
Alice Hearts Welsh Zombies
Victoria Dunn
Blood & Water
Hayden Trenholm, Camille Alexa, Claude Lalumière, Derryl Murphy, M.L.D. Curelas, Kevin Cockle, Douglas Smith, Jean-Louis Trudel, Julie E. Czerneda
Kingston Noir - Colin Channer, Chris Abani, Thomas Glave, Kwame Dawes, Marlon James, Kei Miller, Patricia Powell, Leone Ross, Ian Thomson, Marcia Douglas, Christopher John Farley Well. That was the most upsetting crime anthology I've read this year. Read in a while, in fact. (This isn't a bad thing, just a heads-up.) Favourite stories were "Immaculate" by Marlon James, "Roll It" by Leone Ross, and "Sunrise" by Chris Abani.

Two of the stories (out of eleven) struck me as more slice-of-life than crime or mystery stories. Out of the remaining nine, two came across as merely solid--one straightforward, one that made me smile. A couple struck me as strange; the characters were well-drawn and behaving consistently with themselves, but I wasn't sure I could buy into how they interacted with each other.

The other five ranged from good but leaving me feeling like I needed to reread it on a day when I wasn't feeling slightly under the weather to leaving me sitting there thinking "I just read that? People do that-- oh, god, they do. Ohgod."

I'm breaking it down like this because... honestly, having read the book, I am currently feeling very safe, and suburban, and a bit ignorant.

Well worth the read, not (personally) traumatizing, but worth making a small extra effort to note this is not a feelgood book.
---
[1] Which is not to say they are uninteresting. One of the two (namely "54-46 (That's My Number)") struck me as more of a mystery than a crime story; the other was "Immaculate", which, er, did not.