FrancesKR

Dmitry Glukhovsky
Southern Gods
John Hornor Jacobs
Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
Robert Louis Stevenson, Orson Scott Card, Jack London, Tanith Lee, Walt Whitman, Guy de Maupassant, Isaac Asimov, Ivan Turgenev, Johann Ludwig Tieck, Marvin Kaye, John Dickson Carr, Bram Stoker, Tennessee Williams, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Richard Matheson, Johann Wolfgang
Howdunit Forensics
Garnethill
Denise Mina
The Autopsy and Other Tales
Michael Shea, Laird Barron
Alice Hearts Welsh Zombies
Victoria Dunn
Blood & Water
Hayden Trenholm, Camille Alexa, Claude Lalumière, Derryl Murphy, M.L.D. Curelas, Kevin Cockle, Douglas Smith, Jean-Louis Trudel, Julie E. Czerneda
Never Bet the Devil & Other Warnings - Orrin Grey As I was reading through this book, I was trying to figure out exactly how to convey what I wanted to say about it. I've shelved it as horror, among other things, and I wasn't entirely sure this is a collection of horror stories. It has horror stories, yes, and there's not a single story without a horrific element (oh dear god there really isn't). But there's more to them, and I was struggling with the precise words, and rather worried about this review.

Fortunately, I found a solution in the afterword. Perhaps I should have read it first. Grey mentions Robert Westall (who is going on my list of people to look up), and shares a quote about how it was "the infinite strangeness of the supernatural that fascinated Robert Westall, not the horror."

I could feel something click, when I read that. There's horror here, yes, but that's not all that's important here; Never Bet the Devil would be an impressive but rather cold book if it was. The infinite strangeness of the supernatural, that was what I was having trouble defining, and a love for the strange and supernatural elements of the genre. I count the strange and the supernatural as distinct, there are two stories that I could comfortably argue have nothing supernatural in them--although there are... well, non-human things seen as monsters?--and a couple of others I'd be willing to debate.