FrancesKR

Dmitry Glukhovsky
Southern Gods
John Hornor Jacobs
Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
Robert Louis Stevenson, Orson Scott Card, Jack London, Tanith Lee, Walt Whitman, Guy de Maupassant, Isaac Asimov, Ivan Turgenev, Johann Ludwig Tieck, Marvin Kaye, John Dickson Carr, Bram Stoker, Tennessee Williams, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Richard Matheson, Johann Wolfgang
Howdunit Forensics
Garnethill
Denise Mina
The Autopsy and Other Tales
Michael Shea, Laird Barron
Alice Hearts Welsh Zombies
Victoria Dunn
Blood & Water
Hayden Trenholm, Camille Alexa, Claude Lalumière, Derryl Murphy, M.L.D. Curelas, Kevin Cockle, Douglas Smith, Jean-Louis Trudel, Julie E. Czerneda
Grave Peril - Jim Butcher Okay. I get that there are certain pulp conventions, and I get that Harry's a bit of a chauvinistic twit at times. I forgive this. And I don't quibble with each character alone.

But.

I am 91% of the way through this book, and as it stands:

Karrin Murphy's been Sleeping Beauty'd for her own safety during most of the action; Charity comes across as strong but still largely exists to be angry and threatened; Susan Rodriguez has been ignored for most of the book, been captured, been turned, and currently wandered off subject to Bianca's will; Justine has been kidnapped and her insanity is in full swing (not her fault, it's just hormones) because Thomas isn't around to keep her steady; Lydia has been scared and running away and bait and helpless and terrified all damn book. Kelly is the bad guy minion (the rash and rude and violent one, specifically); and then there's Bianca and Lea. Even granting that the nature of Agatha and Rachel will limit their personalities, and allowing Michael's contention that Mavra is not a she, but an it, there's enough here that I am giving this book the side-eye. Oh yes.

I don't think this is typical--[b:Fool Moon|91477|Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)|Jim Butcher|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1345556849s/91477.jpg|855288] didn't have this problem, and god do I kind of really miss both Tara West and Karrin Murphy right now--but dammit, I had better get some effective female characters who aren't antagonistic corrupting temptresses back next book.

=======

Having finished it:

At heart, okay; I liked this book, I liked the natural progression of the consequences of the plot of the antagonist(s), I like the twists along the way, and I really like the finale, because it has a fine sweet Tales from the Crypt comic book justice. And I think that Harry and Susan's end situation is very well done; it's hard to keep that from going into either facile pronouncements or angstful melodrama, but I think Butcher manages.

As to what I said above; I stand by my annoyance, but I'm sure Butcher can do better, and look forward to reading said better.