FrancesKR

Dmitry Glukhovsky
Southern Gods
John Hornor Jacobs
Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
Robert Louis Stevenson, Orson Scott Card, Jack London, Tanith Lee, Walt Whitman, Guy de Maupassant, Isaac Asimov, Ivan Turgenev, Johann Ludwig Tieck, Marvin Kaye, John Dickson Carr, Bram Stoker, Tennessee Williams, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Richard Matheson, Johann Wolfgang
Howdunit Forensics
Garnethill
Denise Mina
The Autopsy and Other Tales
Michael Shea, Laird Barron
Alice Hearts Welsh Zombies
Victoria Dunn
Blood & Water
Hayden Trenholm, Camille Alexa, Claude Lalumière, Derryl Murphy, M.L.D. Curelas, Kevin Cockle, Douglas Smith, Jean-Louis Trudel, Julie E. Czerneda

The War of the Worlds

The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells Been years since I read this. It measures up surprisingly well (both to the passage of time and to my memory of it); it's definitely more of a description of an invaded world than an adventure in it, but it's a quick and engaging read. Was surprised to notice how much the description of the two kinds of human you could expect under Martian rule matched the Eloi and the Morlocks, too.

The ending in particular got to me. I am pretty sure that the narrator is not simply mad, and that his recollections of the deserted countryside are not flashes of reality, but I'm thinking about how easy it'd be to convey exactly that, with just a few changes.